Monday, October 21, 2013

basketball and other adventures!

Since I’ve last written to you guys, we’ve had two games. We lost both games, but perhaps more frustrating than losing, is that we could have and should have won them both. On Wednesday, we played Panathanaikos, arguably the best team in our league. We were only down two points going into the fourth quarter and then they just ran away with it. We had too many turnovers and gave up too many offensive rebounds. They had so many fans at the game! I was shocked at how well they traveled. The entire game, their fans were singing, cheering, and beating on a large drum. While it was really hard to hear the plays that my teammates were calling, it was a great atmosphere to play in, maybe even one of the craziest ones I’ve ever experienced.

After our game Wednesday, we had a quick turn around and had to play again on Saturday. On Saturday, we played Proteas Voulas, another really talented team. We got down early and started to come back, but they kept hitting shots and getting offensive rebounds. We ended up losing by 11. While I hate losing, I can see that our team is making huge improvements over the first couple of games we played when I first got here. We will also finally be getting our head coach this week. This will be the 3rd/4th coach since I’ve been here. We have a coach that has been practicing with us, and then one that has been coaching us in games. I’m excited to see how we will bounce back from these games and tackle the rest of the season and how we will respond to the new coach.

Still no internet at my apartment- I’m getting very friendly with the workers at the VS Café! However, I do know that the CARDS ARE IN THE WORLD SERIES!! And Mizzou Football is 7-0!! It is such an awesome time to be a sports fan in Missouri! I love keeping up with them and wish I were home to partake in the celebrations! I hope it can continue!

There is less than two weeks until my sisters come! They could not be coming at a better time! I cannot wait for their arrival and will probably cry when I see them. I think this is the longest I’ve ever gone without being with family and I must say that I don’t like it one bit! My mom is coming in a month and I’ll be home for Christmas in two months! Considering that I used to see my mom about 2 times a week when it was basketball season, it’s weird to look up and not see her in the stands.

The TV in my apartment gets about 6 channels and the only one in English is CNN… so I don’t watch much TV. Today (Monday) was my first day volunteering at the American school this week. I had really little boys today, 6 and 7 year olds and they are full of energy! I’ll go back on Thursday and help with boys that are a little bit older. I’m really excited about this opportunity!

That’s it for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment